Reasons Why You Should Install Porcelain Garage Floor Tile
When somebody talks about porcelain tile, you probably would think about kitchen countertops of bathroom floors. After all, porcelain tiles are commonly used inside the home, right? But here’s the thing, it may not have caught up on you yet, but more and more homeowners are beginning to use porcelain tiles for their garage floor. Porcelain is slowly becoming the tile of choice for flooring, not just for the garage, but also for other areas in the house.
While porcelain may also be associated with figurines and bathroom walls and floors, it can also be used for your kitchen counter top or for a customized tabletop. Porcelain actually adds class to any room or item in the house, hence, a lot of people are becoming interested with its use.
Porcelain is a type of ceramic tile and is made from finer and denser clay. It also goes under a higher temperature when manufactured. It is tougher and more durable compared with others of its kind. It is also scratch- and stain-resistant.
Benefits of Porcelain Floor for Your Garage
Why should you even consider having a porcelain garage floor tile? Listed here are several notable reasons why you should get porcelain for your garage.
- Porcelain is versatile. It can be used in just about anywhere and everywhere around the house. If you are aiming for a scratch-free and good-looking surface, then porcelain is the perfect choice. It is perfect as countertop or wall coverings, but experts in construction agree that it is in flooring that porcelain really shines.
- Porcelain tile actually looks better after some time. Most types of floorings show obvious signs of wear and tear after a few years. The good thing about porcelain is that it looks even better a few years after its installation, with little maintenance at that. In high traffic areas, like your garage, it will be an excellent choice. Porcelain, according to experts, will actually outperform other kinds of garage floor tiles in the long run, in terms of durability and appearance.
- Maintenance is easy. Its surface doesn’t absorb too much moisture. Spills can be wiped up by using damp cloth with detergent (only if needed). It also doesn’t need any kind of water resistance for sealing. Maintenance simply involves cleaning with water and mild detergent since porcelain is made from non-porous materials. It is also protection from bacteria, thus, keeping your family safe from diseases. Repairs aren’t really expensive, as well.
- Porcelain garage floor tile is heavy duty. For one, it is resistant to a lot of wear and tear, including scratches, abrasion, frost, and impacts. This means that you don’t have to worry about your car tires ruining the floor. Porcelain is also chemical- and stain-resistant, so the floor is safe from stain marks from fluids, oils, and other chemicals. Any kind of strong cleaning detergent or even the excessive exposure of the tile to sunlight will not affect its finish and color. If a tile or tiles get cracks, it is easy to remove the cracked or chipped tile and replace it with a new one.
The color of porcelain doesn’t fade so you don’t have to worry about the replacement looking different from all the others. This is because porcelain is made as “through-body tile”, which means all the materials, including the color of the tile run through its entire thickness. So if there might be chips in the tile, the color still stays the same.
- Porcelain is safe. The floor will not even be slippery so there is no risk of injuring yourself while you work or clean the garage. Also, there is no need to worry about the kids opting to play in the garage. Since it is highly resistant to slipping, porcelain can be installed either indoors or outdoors. You just have to make sure that you purchase from a store that also offers professional installation. It is important that you deal only with legitimate companies to ensure that the tile you choose has the correct rating.
- Absorbs less moisture. It is used largely in entry ways that are exposed to the weather. Because of its high density, it absorbs a good amount of moisture. And so, it is ideal in areas with colder climates where homes are subjected to freezing since tiles will not easily crack.
- It has a lot of designs and textures to choose from. Porcelain has a variety of choices, from colors, to patterns, to textures. It also comes in different sizes, allowing you to get creative with your floor patterns.
- Porcelain is reasonably-priced. It is sold around the same price range as the others, plus it has a wide array of benefits, so you get your money’s worth. It doesn’t need repair often, neither replacements nor reinstallation. The price depends on the kind of finish the tile looks like. You can choose from the types that will look like marble, stone, wood, slate, and granite.
- It adds aesthetic appeal. Any room or area in the house will look more luxurious with porcelain tile. It looks expensive without actually costing too much.
It is important to reiterate that you need to get the services of a reputable store and make sure that they also offer installation services. Like a lot of things, there are both benefits and drawbacks to installing porcelain tile as garage flooring, hence, you need to make sure that proper installation and handling will be undertaken. One such drawback is its high density, meaning it is harder than other types and is difficult to cut. Uneven cut (when not part of the design) will not have a fine finish.
Also, porcelain is quite heavy, so if it is accidentally dropped, it can easily break.
Despite these drawbacks, porcelain tile is still ideal for garage floor as it is the perfect choice for high traffic areas. Its durability is still its main selling point. Porcelain enhances the aesthetic appearance of your garage floor, giving it a classy look.
The use of porcelain tile for your garage floor is indeed the perfect choice as it looks good, durable, tough, and with little effort in maintenance.
I like your advice on how porcelain tile floors will not be slippery. I would imagine that it would be much safer to have a floor surface on which you and your kids will not slip and fall. I am looking for something new to put in our garage and because we have kids maybe I should consider porcelain so they will not slip.